EMC made some interesting gear during the 70′s… and had something truly amazing, a lifetime guarantee! Of course being they went out of business prior to 1983 the lifetime part ended up being pretty short.

The S300 Guitar Amp had the following specs:Image

• 125 Watts RMS
  • 5 band EQ
  • Reverb
  • Portable.. yep, it only weighed 90lbs!

EMC was located at

21819 Royalton RdImage

Cleveland, OK

Per google maps, the current building at that address is huge. Either they were really that big, or they just rented a portion of said building.

Beyond the S300, they also had a G200 and a line of PA systems.

In my first band, we had a EMC Gemini PA system, it was a 6 channel unit, and it had to 2 columns with 4 eight inch speakers in each one. It sounded ok, but when we paired it up with some homemade clones of a Peavey SP3, it could really rock.

Image

Granted, such a unit was of no comparison to the next group I was in where we had 4000Watts triamped, and 4 speaker columns reaching nearly 15 feet high… yet, for the average bar or small club, the Gemini did a super great job.

74 Comments on EMC Electronic Music Corporation Info Requested

1. Dave says:

Hi Ron – That sounds like an ambitious project you are working on. I figured a lot of those models would have similar parts or even share whole circuit boards in common. My Sagittarius is in storage – I will have to dig it out. As for the sound, I just remember it never sounding very sweet on the top end – like you could dial back the treble to smooth it out a little but then it was too dull. It had a brittle quality which may have been associated with crossover distortion – I am thinking the early SS amps were biased cold to help prevent them from melting down? I should get mine out and see if it even still works!

Any info you come up with will be most appreciated!

Dave

2. Walter says:

EMC stereo pa-800 looking for info on it.. and if anyone is wanting to buy it u can call me at 417-255-9618..

3. kris says:

Hey all, I have an EMC B-110 bass amp and know nothing about it. What kind of amp is it? I can’t see any tubes, but it has a fuse (???). When I play it for about 10 minutes, it starts to crap out and then it dies, but it sounds great for those ten minutes. Any idea what the heck is going on? Thanks!

4. Serge says:

I just found a amplifier for guitar EMC S110 it’s very clean and have some wonderful clean sound too,i tried to find something about on the net but….nothing! can you tell me more about that???

5. Butch Swingle says:

E-mailed you a Schematic for a emc 300 you thought you might be able to cross reference the Schematic to the emc gemini Pa head that I have that needs some TLC. Have not hear a word from you hope is well. I was hoping you would be able to shed some light on weather or not the Schematic where similar enough to have a tech use them to fix my Pa. Thanks hope to hear from you that everything is ok.

6. chuck says:

why cant I find the amp or the values on an EMC G400 I garbaged picked it and it is a G400 150 watts and works……

7. John DeSantis says:

I have just purchased an EMC Performer 1 Solid State 150.
    It has two channels with Two inputs with a three position tone switch and a volume treble and bass pot, the channel one switch has selection of;normal, bass and deep bass. the channel two selections are; bright, normal and bass. The on off rotary switch has two ON positions. It was shipped to me in just a cardboard box The stem on a volume pot broke loose in shippment but it works! And sounds better than I hoped it could. It is good to find your pages

8. Robert says:

Hello I own a emc B300 just kicks all original but needs to be re-coned.. does anyone kno where I could find the schematics.

9. daryl says:

Butch,
    what is the output and impedance of the PA 300 im thinking same as the s300??

10. pat says:

just bought a emc head and all it says is the name leo. ever heard of the and whatever info woulk be helpful

11. Ron Amundson says:

Just got back from the doc yesterday… 24/7 caregiving eats up a lot of time especially when things get dicey. That being said, I do hope to get back on the Gemini reverse engineering project soon. As far as how helpful or not it will be to your tech, there is a great deal of commonality across the years and some models. I hope to get some documentation published in the very near future.

12. Ron Amundson says:

The G400 uses a EPM-165 power module, one of the more common (EMC also used it for guitar, bass, and PA systems, with the only differences being the preamp and signal conditioning (reverb, graphic EQ) stages, albeit some models like the G800 used two of the EPM-165 modules with a much larger power supply. It was the second most powerful module EMC ever built. The last schematic update I could find for the G400 is from 1974.

13. Ron Amundson says:

Wowzers, that gotta be an early unit, likely with a flat polished front panel as contrasted with the black ones, or the later panels which were cast!!! You have a real find on your hands.

14. Ron Amundson says:

There is a fellow that sells copies for a nominal free over at ronsound. I’ve purchased a few of them, and they are pretty much just duplicates of the factory schematics EMC used to include when you bought one new. Ie, they don’t have measurement call outs, parts placements, connector schemes, such as a factory service manual or Sam’s manual of that era would provide. That being said, for the price, when you don’t have anything to work off of, they are quite the bargain. My goal is to make a Sam’s style manual for troubleshooting, and eventually recreate the engineering sheets they likely had. (The true magic of EMC guitar amps is in their use of preselected FETs on the input stage… even more so, how the parameters changed over the years as semiconductor process changed. In the early days when volume was pretty low, my guess is they were manually sorting them… which is why I’ve run into some guys wondering why the tubes on my amp are enclosed. :) As time progressed, I’m sure they speced out a range, which depending on the unit you got some had magic, some were pretty awful, or worse if it was replaced with generic FETs, the sweet sound quality would take a major header.

Once the documentation stuff is done, I plan on running a ton of EMC Fets through my curve tracer to see what the distribution is, especially so as the years rolled on. (That will be quite a ways off in the future). The other reason for doing this is to try and cross the unobtanium late 60′s early 70′s fets to a contemporary version with the appropriate sorting criteria.

15. Ron Amundson says:

http://ronsound.com/index.php?.....Path=37_82 has a B300 schematic. As far as reconing goes, some of the EMC magic might be related to the use of aluminum voice coils as well as the customized Eminence speakers they used. I tried to bid on a 4×10 cab on ebay a ways back, but the seller pulled the auction being he wasn’t getting high enough bids the day before it ended. Once I get through the amp side of things, it would be a fascinating study to characterize the actual speakers. I’d really like to find one of those rare EMC cabinets with 3 fifteens. 2 of them were direct radiators, and 1 was set up as a reflector… alas it was quite the monster 49″x26″x17″ weighing in at over 160lbs!!! I believe the B800 came with 4 such units as an option… 330Watts driving over 600lbs of speakers. Talk about monster bass!

16. Lazlow says:

Looking at an EMC B220 bass amp, but can’t find any specs on it online. I’m guessing it’s 220 watts but I have no idea considering the S300 has 125 watts… Any help?

17. Ron Amundson says:

The Leo head was made in the late 60′s early 70′s. It was marketed as a bass or organ amplifier, and was rated at 300Watts. The high end model came with 3 fifteen speakers, albeit a single fifteen or eighteen was an option. In 1971, the Leo head with 3 fifteens listed at $799, or in today’s currency just a tad over $4600.

18. Ron Amundson says:

Most manufacturers including EMC played a lot of games with specs back then. In some cases blatantly overrating things, and in other cases being so conservative with the distortion specs, the amp output was more like 50% higher in comparison with another manufacturer. I don’t have a cross reference as to which amp module the B220 used.

The B200 used a 125Watt module, same as the S300, but the B250 used a 100Watt module… To me, it makes no sense to have 2 modules only 25 watts apart. My guess is purchasing got a great deal on power transistors such that they slowly morphed the 100 watt modules to 125 as time went on.

19. Michael DiPerna says:

To: Ron Amundson, Would you like to see pictures of my EMC cabinet with 3 15″ C15L speakers?

20. Ron Amundson says:

Absolutely! Your thoughts as to how it sounds, both upfront and also out in the crowd would be pretty cool too. Afaik, I don’t think anyones used a three fifteen combination since EMC’s. I’m guessing in part due to bass being run through the PA more and more throughout the years, but also the expense and weight of the unit… but the sound aspect has me very curious.

21. Ron Jones says:

I just bought an EMC TAURUS bass amp… this thing has original green vinyl covers and all! Sounds good and loud on my bass… but awesome with my guitar! natural breakup reminds me of Townsends live sound in the 70′s. This amp has 2 15′s and a head… great shape to have been sitting for 30 years. Can someone tell me anything about these amps? I once saw a vintage ad for EMC with Dennis Dunaway from Alice Cooper… my favorite bass player! Dennis, any memories to share? Thanks, Ron Jones

22. Darrell says:

I just came across an old Electronic Music Corp bass amp. Model B200. Do you have any idea how to find the age of the amp and its resale value?
    Thanks,
    Darrell

23. TL says:

Hello All,
    I own and use a 3-15″ EMC cabinet in my personal studio. It sounds great with every head I’ve topped it with. Currently using a chopped Fender Bassman 10 brain with it. It’s similar in size and exterior dimensions to Ampeg SVT or Acoustic 360/370 cabs and has wheels in the rear and strap handles so you can tilt back and stroll it. The blue grills are immaculate and look really cool!
    I’ll take a few pics for you.
    TL

24. Michael G says:

I had a musical instrument store in the ’70′s. EMC amps were a fine product, but they did not know how to distribute or promote their products well, nor were they able to support their dealers well. They used general merchandise wholesalers, who did a lame job with them. As a store owner, I was afraid that if I put the time and money into stocking them, and doing the promotion to sell them, the money grabbing distributor’s rep would put them into the record store, next door, and the record store, 5 blocks up the street, and the all pawnshops in the city, and anywhere else he could sell an amp or 2, which would make it harder to get anything of a sold business, with this brand…and there were several different distributors that carried them. My distributor, that I dealt the most with, also carried Jordan (which also had a reputation, for blowing up, Harmony amps, and I think, Alamo (I might be wrong on that one, and had previously carried Supro, when they were in business. They just weren’t marketed as a serious amp. I had one in, to look at, and it was a really impressive bass amp, with a (or 2)15″ speaker in a reflex cabinet and a powerful head with a lot of different tones, that could be got out of it. I was also an authorized Marshall dealer, an authorized, Dave Reeves era,(Highlight Electronics)Hiwatt dealer, a Laney dealer (Klipp!), and a few other amps. If I had some assurance that my work with this brand would be protected, I would have carried it along with those premium brands. They were that impressive.